10/15/2009

Review of Casio Men's G-Shock MT-G Atomic Multi-Band Watch #MTG1500-1ACR

This watch is almost perfect, but it's too expensive. At the time I write this, Casio has a another G-Shock model that is identical in ALMOST every feature -- except it lacks the day of the week display -- at only a quarter the price. So am I willing to spend the extra money to get that one feature? Yes, I am. Call me stupid, but I can't keep the weekday straight without it. However, I won't ignore that I'm getting taken, so I'm knocking off a star on the rating.

Otherwise, this watch is just about everything it's advertised to be.

Note that the LCD displays do not really look like the photograph, which shows them lit by some mystical, bluish backlight. They are typical LCD displays: dark gray digits on a light gray background that blends in nicely with the face of the watch. Also note that the "EL Backlight" is really more of a "LED frontlight" that only illuminates the analog hands. You won't be able to see the LCD displays in dark or near-dark conditions. For what it's worth, this seems to be SOP for all the G-Shock analog/digital watches. One day, I hope they improve it, but in the meantime, this is what you get. As a practical matter, as much as I think I want a good light, I really rarely use it, and the automatic light feature is so fun to play with, I barely notice that I can't read the day of the week. Anyway, how often do you find yourself at the bottom of mine shaft, needing to see the digital time display of 28 other time zones?

One final note about getting the band adjusted to fit. Since this is a bracelet-style band, you'll have to adjust it yourself, if you're feeling brave and you are mechanically-inclined, or, if you're like me, you'll have to take it to a professional for sizing and pay a few bucks. I've read several reviews for other watches that recommend taking the watch to a JEWELER. If condescension is your idea of a good time, then go ahead. Jewelers sell $5,000 Seikos and $10,000 Rolexes and are likely to turn up their noses at your little Casio. What you want is a WATCH REPAIR SHOP. They'll size it and be happy for the business.




Click Here to see more reviews about: Casio Men's G-Shock MT-G Atomic Multi-Band Watch #MTG1500-1ACR

No comments:

Post a Comment